We sure love books around these parts...but something we love even more than books is when we can make our favorite books come to life! We try to do it whenever we can, like when we baked muffins after reading When You Give a Moose a Muffin, but I think at this stage in Henry's development he's most excited to include anything involving imaginative play. So when Little Blue Olive sent over a special crown just for Henry, I knew he would be so excited, as one of his recent favorite books has been Where The Wild Things Are, and if you're familiar, you know the main character wears a golden crown himself. Little Blue Olive is also offering LHS blog readers a 15% off coupon code to the shop, just enter LITTLEBLUE15 at checkout!
My own wild thing has been wearing his crown nonstop, and it's especially awesome that he's now deemed it his "storytime crown." And better yet, the crown is just the like the crown that Max wears (Henry's own words). It's fun to see him get so excited about putting it on and working through a big stack of books. And besides, what's better than a little dress up to spice up a regular old Tuesday afternoon?
Some other ideas for bringing books to life:
- acting out favorite scenes from the book with your child
- visiting places around town that correspond with the book's settting (construction sites, zoo, etc.)
- asking your child to come up with an alternate ending to the book, then create a new page for the book that they can illustrate or even write
- create recipes or other direction-based things from the story, like in the book Pancakes, Pancakes
- build or draw a landscape or scene from the book (Henry LOVES doing this!)
Do you have any other ideas? Feel free to share below!